December 9, 2010

From the beginning...

There are some major gaps to fill in - large parts of my time in Uganda only exist as photos saved on my desktop. As a remedy to this situation, I thought that I would begin again.....
I must first say that this project would not have been the success it was without the talent of Becca and Amanda (highlighted in an earlier blog). What I found so refreshing is that I was able to see everything with a fresh perspective. This was my 5th trip back and in some ways there is a sense of the familiar. Becca and Amanda did not have that. So they allowed me to see things new again - thanks ladies!
So that I can highlight the general aspects of this trip, the best format (although a little organized for my taste) will be short paragraphs......

The luggage...... The ever ambitious and amazing Amanda and Becca managed to get loads and loads of art supplies donated for the workshops. More than was possible to even think of taking! So with over 500 pounds of luggage we managed to make it to Kampala. I love the look on Amanda's face as she is trying to sort out some of the luggage.

The incredible family..... This is my third year to stay with the amazing Bosa family. Prof Bosa, Momma Jus, Momma Ruth, and everyone else (too many to name) are some of my favorite people in the world, this is not an overstatement. I feel that part of me is home when I am there. Momma Jus is an avid gardener, just look at the beauty surrounding us. It is also not an understatement to say that I eat Thanksgiving dinner every night...matooke, ground nut sauce, fish, chicken, greens, potatoes, salad, fresh squeezed juice..and on and on.




Getting around.... Oh how we take for granted traffic signals, emission standards, and rules of the road. If it wasn't for my driver Herbert Nsiiro, I would not make it in Kampala. I would be forced to ride public transportation (I don't even want to go there...you'll see the photo of a boda boda) First, he is an excellent navigator whose goal is to avoid any and all jams. Second, he has been an incredible guide to the culture and politics of Uganda. I joke with him that he knows everything - and he does. Whatever you need, he can get...want some paper cut, DVD burned, to get out of a traffic stop, where to get a new tire in under 15 minutes, name it and he knows. So if you read this Herbert, I still have that map for you!

No comments: