December 10, 2010

The first week....meeting Expedito


This first week back in Uganda was about putting the finals touches on the plans for the Masaka program. I was running around town touching base with friends, organizing aspects of the trip with Fred, etc etc. What I continue to love about Uganda is that you can never expect what will open up, who you will meet, and what experience you will have from day to day. Through an acquaintance of Momma Jus's, we set off to the house of "an artist who collects art and crafts." So with that explanation we arrived to meet Expedito Mwebe Kibbula and his son, Michael.

This description was an understatement of both the house and the artist. His house is the studio, every corner loaded with sketches, drawings, books, visual stimulus that draws you in. I have to say that in the short time we spent with Expedito and his son, he made a definite impression. He has such a life and desire to see in all things - beauty. His collections of thousands of leaves, where each one is a narration of an event, or reflects another object - is astounding and just a small part of his collections. He is one of those rare people who takes the time to stop - to think, to look, to feel. And he wants everyone else to do the same. With all of the projects I have been working on recently, I forget that I am an artist, and what I have to say is that Expedito caused me to remember that.

As we were talking, he says that he feels as though he lives in a dream - one that we all hope to step into.