November 21, 2010

Week 2...Finding our way to Kasota


What I have always loved about the countryside is the beauty - the contrast of the red dirt roads cutting through the green landscape. But itsn't there always a price for beauty? Before I go on I have to say - Fred Mutebi is an excellent driver. Uganda is full of a handfull of smooth tarmac roads, but the majority are pothole filled, water washed, red dirt roads. It takes a skilled driver to navigate the directionless traffic going way to fast, avoiding people walking on the sides of the roads, and dodging the gullies/ditches that wind their way down the center of the roads.
The video is one road that we took each day to get to Kasota Primary School. Our first thought was that we were going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere, but as I said earlier, Fred is an excellent driver.
I don't know if I mentioned one of our favorite people, Matila, the headmistress at Kasota Primary School? But one of the things that shows more of her character is that although she has a comfortable house in Masaka Town (in the city) she stays all week in the village at the school so that she can hold her teachers accountable and motivated. And experiencing her commute, I see why it is a challenge for her to even get to the school.

1 comment:

Mr Laurence said...

Hello. I recently went to Uganda and spent a lot of time with an artist from Kampala who makes some great pieces of design using bark cloth. You may be interested in meeting up with him. You can see more about him on my blog: http://goingtodewe.blogspot.com/p/bark-cloth.html