November 21, 2010

Week 2...Updates....finally.


My apologies for the long space between this post and the last. As I said in the previous emails, there are challenges with the the internet system. This past week was filled with meeting friends - fellow artists, scholars and family. I have been working to corrdinate with Fred, Becca and Amanda all the remaining planning/packing, etc for the Masaka project. So at some point I will make sure to let you know a little more about this past week.

But right now, we are in Masaka District, launching Renewing Material. Driving down on Saturday, we arrived in town to get supplies, find a hotel (no, I don't stay in the "bush"), and drive to the sights where the exhibition and workshops will take place. One of my favorite things about Uganda is that even the drive is an unexpected adventure - a dirt road filled, and I mean filled, with pot holes, ditches along with speeding cars and boda bodas coming at you. The image posted is one of the "adventures" along the way.

Besides Fred, Becca, Amanda and myself, our group included - Ivan Yakuze(artist), Sarah Nakisanze (artist), Olivia (Sarah's assistant), Michael Kirkpatrick (from the US), and Venny Nakazibwe (Dean, Makerere). Everywhere we have gone we have received the warmest of welcomes. Many from the community can out on Saturday to greet us and show us around their school. We visited Kasota Primary School and Buyoga Primary School. One of the key organizers is Fred's brother Steven (Fred is on the right, Steven on the left) and the Headmistress of Maleku Primary School, Sarah Kalungi (pictured in her office with Fred.)

So I thought I would post a few mages from Saturday.



No comments: